top of page

Frequently Asked Eviction Questions:

Is eviction the best remedy for me?

Since 2019, Washington law has steadily changed to transform non-payment of rent evictions into a system that forces residents to get financial assistance to save their tenancy. If your resident is behind and won't work with you, eviction is the cheapest and fastest tool to resolve that debt. For all other problems, eviction acts as a system to force a resolution to a dispute, which often means the tenant vacates the property voluntarily or by court order.

What does an eviction cost?
Many factors impact the total cost of an eviction, such as property location and the number of steps or services required.  Our total fee for an eviction is usually $1,500.00 or less  You will also be required to pay expenses such as the court's and sheriff's fees.

How long does an eviction take?
In most cases, removal is not the primary goal. We can recover unpaid rent for you in as little as 15 days, but more commonly 2-4 weeks. If removal is the best remedy, that generally takes 3-6 months, though your case ends long before that.

Do I have to go to court?
When you hire us, we go to court for you.  If your resident contests your case and requires a show cause hearing, you must attend that hearing with an attorney.  Our attorney will represent you at the show cause hearing as part of our set-fee schedule.


Can I serve my own notice?
Yes.  You are allowed to serve your notice.  However, there are specific procedures that you must follow when serving a notice. Read our How to Give a Notice Quicksheet for instructions.  Using the wrong notice or failing to serve it correctly can cause your case to be dismissed.

Should I accept payment from my resident?

If you accept any payment from your resident or anyone paying on his or her behalf, we are usually required to stop work on your case. You are never required to accept partial payment. However, if you issue a pay or vacate notice, you are required to accept full payment until the sheriff removes your resident from the property. What constitutes full payment depends on when it is tendered. After serving a notice to comply or vacate or a notice of termination of tenancy, you are not required to accept full or partial payment.

What is full payment after serving a pay or vacate notice?



Can I talk directly to an attorney?
Yes.  Our experienced staff can assist you with most situations as part of our set fee services.  If you wish, or if your situation requires it, you can meet directly with an attorney for an hourly fee.

Will you collect a debt from my resident?

If your current resident owes you money, we can issue the appropriate notice that requires him or her to pay.  The resident must pay you directly or move out.  If a former tenant owes you money, we can collect on any judgment you hold against him or her.  If you do not have a judgment, you must obtain one before we can attempt to recover that debt.

Do I have to pay a deposit or opening fee?
No.  Our services are provided on a set-fee basis.  You can use us as much or as little as you would like.  We bill for each service when ordered and do not require any advance deposit.

Does the CARES Act apply to my property?

The 2020 CARES Act was Congress' first response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The bill contained the first federal ban on evictions (for 120 days). It also included a permanent change to federal law governing "covered properties" that requires 30 days notice before a tenant can be required to vacate a property. This requirement applies to virtually all federal poverty-based rent assistance programs and to any property with a federally backed mortgage.

Full rent chart.png
Check our our Quicksheets

Do you have more questions?

Are you ready to order services?

*All information displayed on the LT Services website is informational and shall not be deemed as legal advice.  If you would like legal representation or advice, please contact us through e-mail or by phone.  Until an attorney-client relationship has been established, no information you provide is privileged or confidential.

bottom of page